Skip to main content

Do I need a permit to possess pepper spray?

Individuals between the ages of 15 and 18 must have a FID card or FID card restricted to chemical propellant only, to possess self-defense spray.  Individuals age 18 and over do not need a license to possess self-defense sprays.

  • Cost is $25.00 (check or money order made out to “City of Malden”).

  • Applications are available at Malden PD headquarters or online at NOTE: Pictures will be taken at time of application; the applicant does not need to provide them.

  • Complete the application and submit together with proof of Malden residence (utility bill required) to Beverly Smith at Malden PD headquarters.

  • Hours:  Mondays 9am-11am; Tuesdays 1pm-6pm; Wednesdays 9am-11am

    For more information contact Beverly Smith at 781-397-7171 x1108 or email