Skip to main content

When should I file a crash report?

  • Motor Vehicle Crash Reports should be filed by the operator of a vehicle involved in a crash where the damage to any one vehicle or property is over $1,000 or if there is an injury to any person, even if a police officer was on the scene.  You should file the report within 5 days of the crash.  You should not file a report if the crash occurred on a private road, driveway, private parking lot or other private way.
  • Download the motor vehicle crash report
  • Send completed reports to: (1) the police department in the city or town where the crash occurred, (2) your insurance company, and (3) the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles)
  • To obtain a copy of an operator's crash report or the police report, contact the RMV. Click here for the RMV crash report request form.